Sunday, June 21, 2009

Fresh Peas from the Garden




I finally have some veggies from my garden that are ready to be eaten and my peas were the first to make it to dinner. I have to say there is nothing better than fresh fruit or vegetables plucked right off the vine or pulled up from the ground. Until I ate my first home-grown tomato, you couldn't get me near one! But now, a little coarse salt is all I need to consume one faster than you can say "dog."

So far this season we've had blackberries, strawberries, lemons, leeks, chives, and even cauliflower (although that was mistakenly purchased instead of broccoli.) I also have a whole bunch of herbs that grow throughout the year. And although my gardening has taken a back seat the last couple of years, I still love to get out and play in the dirt. You can work off a lot of stress in a garden! And then there is that added benefit of yummy food!

These peas ended up in a pasta dish I made last weekend. I cooked some orzo pasta, chopped up some parsley, added aged gouda, parmesean, and even a little goat cheese, butter (oh so bad, but oh so tasty,) and some salt and pepper. The mint is only for looks....I really don't understand that traditional combination of mint and peas...but it looks good in photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment