Thursday, February 4, 2010

Questionable Bones, Throwing Up, and Vet Bills




In the wee hours of Monday morning, Shaetze nor I got much sleep. Between bouts of vomiting, Shaetze was shivering from undoubtedly painful stomach cramps. As I lay awake sick to death with worry and unable to comfort my little guy, I kept wondering what on earth could have caused this trauma. It was that bone I gave him last night, I just knew it. It came from a reputable store and was packaged so nicely for our four legged friends that I had no doubt it was safe. I have no proof of course because it could have been anything the little scavenger had come across in the yard. So as soon as the Vet opened Monday morning, he was off to be healed. Sure enough, he was fighting an infection and not until they gave him antibiotics did he start to show signs of improvement. The vet is sure that it was something he had eaten. It got me thinking about all the things that can make a dog sick that I might not be aware of like fatty meats, grapes, garlic, or avocados. Some of these ingredients can even be found in food that is specifically produced for dogs. Sometimes though it is the amount, or the form that these seemingly innocent ingredients come in that can wreck havoc on an animal's stomach. Adrienne Carlson has compiled a list of "25 Common Foods That Can Be Toxic for Your Pet" over on her blog Veterinary Technician Schools Online. It's a must read for any pet owner. You might be surprised at some of the foods included in this list.

Shaetze is better by the way. We still don't know exactly what he got into and whether it was the dog bone or not, but you can be sure I'll be watching him like a hawk!
Mary Ann
Best Friends Studios

No comments:

Post a Comment